Saturday, November 21, 2009

For English and Spanish speakers who live in Spain! I want to call my baby Mia but would love you opinion

For English and Spanish speakers who live in Spain! I want to call my baby Mia but would love you opinion?
I live in Almeria and my daughter will be brought up here. We want to call her Mia which is a beautiful name but am worried that it sounds wrong to the Spanish people, as it means `mine´. They can pronounce it but it dont want her to get teased at school! What do you think?
Other - Spain - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Mia is a beautiful name! I have a little cousin named Mia and she was born in Venezuela. They were a bit worried about the same things you are because they live in a Spanish speaking country but they went ahead and called her Mia regardless. Mia hasn't been teased as far as I know, and everyone that I know thinks its a very cute. good luck :)
2 :
You could name her Maia or Maya, that would be pronounced differently than "mía," the Spanish word for "mine."
3 :
When she grows up and becomes an aunt, she'll be called Tia Mia.
4 :
I live in Madrid, and I'm awesome. I think she'll be ok. just don't name her Shannon - now THAT name causes a lot of trouble with the Spanish.
5 :
Im called Mia :) i dont think it would be an issue to be honest
6 :
It's an unusual name in Spain. It's as odd to us as if a British kid was called "Ours" or "Hers". But since you're not Spanish it might work. Btw, what works in Venezuela, simply doesn't work here. Kids will tease other kids for whatever reason if they don't like them, make silly rhymes, whatever. You can never be on the safe side, especially in Almería, which is not exactly a refined and cosmopolitan place. Thought of giving her a second name? Just in case, so she has a plan B.
7 :
Lovely name - our Spanish neigbours dog is called Mia, but don't let that put you off, a friends lovely daughter also goes by the same name.







Read more discussions :

Search News