Thursday, October 1, 2009

Has anyone taken their cat to live in Spain

Has anyone taken their cat to live in Spain?
Hubby and I will be moving to Spain in the next couple of years and wondered if anyone had taken their cat with them, and how the cat got on.
Cats - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
International moving of a cat requires a huge list of pre-requisits. (Documents, vaccine requirements,health certificates, bloodwork) Contact the airlines and where you are going in Spain to find these out.
2 :
When I moved from the UK to Cyprus several years ago, I brought my 17 year old cat with me under the Pet Travel Scheme, or the Pet Passport as it's more commonly known. DEFRA is the UK government body responsible for animal welfare and health regulations. Their website contains all the information that you need regarding vaccinations, microchipping etc. to take your cat with you to Spain or any other EU country. See the link below. http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/index.htm I must admit that I was more than a little concerned about how my cat would handle the flight, new country & new climate, especially at her age, but she settled in very quickly. Most cats enjoy the heat and can usually be found sleeping in the warmest spot in the home anyway, so they adapt quickly to the change in temperature. When I had to go to France for 8 months, I also took her with me then, and she was fine with all that travelling too. When I was leaving the UK a few people suggested that I shouldn't subject her to the upheaval (or were surprised at the amount of money I was prepared to spend to bring my cat with me) but I loved her far too much to be without her. She was also a rather timid cat and I believe it was definitely less stressful for her to move country with me, than it would have been for her trying to settle with a new owner in the UK. All in all, I think that the interest my cat showed in her new surroundings gave her a new lease of life. Sadly she passed away at 19 due to kidney failure, but should I ever move country again, I will definitely be taking my current two cats with me. It's a lot of paperwork to organise & your vet will help you with all of that, but it is definitely worth it. Good luck.






Read more discussions :

Search News